Here are photos from two of our most recent adoptions. We’ve had a few more than this; Dino & Phil, Angel, Alice & Dutchess, but are waiting for the families to send us photos. Hopefully we’ll have several more after this Sunday’s adoption day.
The Indiana Rescue: Hard Work, Lots of Cooperation, But More Work Still Needed!
~ July 16, 3013, by National HRS
In June 2013, Indianapolis Animal Care and Control, responding to a complaint about their care and treatment, confiscated 375 rex and min-rex rabbits from a breeder in the city of Indianapolis. The breeder later signed all but 15 of the rabbits, many of whom were pregnant, over to Animal Control (but once he realized that he could not breed those 15, he left them behind as well), leaving the shelter in a very tight situation.
How would the shelter care for, much less place, all of these rabbits?
Indiana House Rabbit Society stepped into action. Their volunteers immediately got involved, going to the shelter those first few days, sexing and separating the rabbits, providing immediate care and medical attention, along with assisting veterinarians, and providing hay and food, medicating sick rabbits twice a day, and otherwise providing for all their needs.
Indiana HRS volunteers worked tirelessly, day after day, feeding and caring for the rabbits at the shelter, even as the rabbits grew from the original 375 to over 400, as some of those females gave birth. They also marshaled the help of veterinarians from near and far who began spaying and neutering the rabbits, and started the hard work of calling in the assistance of rescue groups and House Rabbit Society chapters from as far away as Maine and California who stepped up and offered their assistance in adopting those rabbits.
As of Sunday, July 14, all 400 rabbits were out of the shelter, thanks to the groups and individuals named below.
A very grateful bunny says thank you!
But the work is not over yet.
Through Indiana House Rabbit Society and Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary, there are still 170 rabbits in foster care. These rabbits still desperately need homes, either locally in Indiana, or can be transported to adopters or rescuers in other areas of the country. Indiana HRS’s work is not over by a long shot, so if you can help at all, please contact email@example.com to offer your assistance.
Indiana House Rabbit Society would like to thank the following groups and individuals for their help in this joint effort:
• Indianapolis Animal Care and Control, for giving these rabbits these rabbits a chance to become cherished indoor family companions.
The following groups for taking the “Indiana 400:”
• NM HRS (NM)
• GA HRS (GA)
• EARPS (IN)
• Chicago HRS (IL)
• Buckeye HRS (OH)
• Cleveland APL (OH)
• Empty Cages Collective (NYC)
• Red Door Animal Shelter (IL)
• The Cat Nap (IL)
• BunnyFeathers Rabbit Rescue (WV)
• For Bunny Sake Rabbit Rescue (NJ)
• Angel Paws (IL)
• NYS HRS (NY)
• MO HRS (MO)
• House Rabbit Network (MA)
• San Diego HRS (CA)
• Dane County Humane Society (WI)
• Too Many Bunnies Rabbit Rescue (CA)
• CO HRS (CO)
• Animal Humane Society (MN)
• Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue (AZ)
• Friends of Rabbits (Baltimore/DC)
• NC HRS (NC)
• Lollypop Farm (NY)
• Humane Society of Greater Rochester (NY)
• Save Animals Today (SD, CA)
• Hops and Lops (TN)
• IndyClaw (IN)
• Save the Animals Today (CA)
The following groups and individuals for sending in funds, supplies, or providing assistance with transport:
• National House Rabbit Society
• Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control
• New Mexico HRS
• Buckeye HRS
• Arkansas HRS
• Red Door Animal Shelter
• PetCo Foundation
• PetSmart Charities
• Specks Pet Supply
• Dupage County Animal Shelter
• Chicago HRS
• San Diego HRS
• Stephen Van Linge and Trina Beatson
Veterinary Clinics for providing spay/neuter support:
• Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic, Indianapolis IN (Angela Lennox, DVM; Heather Goldstein, DVM; Amber Lee, DVM and support staff)
• Bargersville Veterinary Wellness Center, Franklin IN (Cindy Baker O’Dell, DVM)
• Deck Veterinary Clinic, Louisville KY (Tara Gunn, DVM)
• Rosehaven Exotic Animal Veterinary Services, Batavia, IL (Susan Brown, DVM; and Richard Nye, DVM; Macy Cooke; Sarah Dehn, RVT)
• Tippecanoe County Animal Clinic, Lafayette IN (Julia Becker, DVM)
Without the above groups, these rabbits would not have gotten the new lives they now have. If you’d like to help the remaining 170, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This story highlights the transition of two “laboratory” bunnies from the horrors of vivisection to the protection of the House Rabbit Society and the Beagle Freedom Project.
Let’s face it. We all shop. Even if it’s just for life’s daily essentials. And most of use credit cards (wisely, we hope).
Did you know that there is a House Rabbit Society credit card that supports rabbit rescue?
I agree with HRS Executive Director Margo DeMello who said, “If you’re going to use a credit card, why not use one where a portion of the profits will benefit your favorite rabbit rescue group? And having cute rabbits on your credit card is a great conversation starter!”
The House Rabbit Society credit card features include:
- No Annual Fee.
- Low Introductory APR on purchases and no balance transfer fees for 6 months.
- Bonus points earned for FREE airline tickets, merchandise, cash-back and more at participating merchants.
- $50 donation by the bank when you first use the card and ongoing contributions.
- Enhanced Visa Platinum benefits, including 24/7 Emergency Customer Service, 100% Fraud Protection, Auto Rental and Travel Accident Insurance and much more.
All proceeds will benefit House Rabbit Society, an international, volunteer-based nonprofit organization with two primary goals:
1) to rescue abandoned rabbits and find permanent homes for them;
2) to educate the public and assist humane societies in teaching proper rabbit care.
Funds raised from the HRS credit card will go directly towards our Emergency Rescue Fund program, which funds grants to other animal rescue groups and shelters who are struggling with large rabbit rescues.
Click here to apply for the HRS credit card today!